Intentions of the Holy Father for April

Ecology and Justice. That governments may foster the protection of creation and the just distribution of natural resources.
Hope for the Sick. That the Risen Lord may fill with hope the hearts of those who are being tested by pain and sickness.

No Bones About It

An infamous villain was murdered on Sunday in his church; and it is a horrible thing that was done to him. Whatever his crimes were, and whatever punishment he deserved and may now receive before God, it is always and everywhere wrong deliberately to harm or kill someone who does not pose an immanent threat to oneself or to those under one's God-given duty to protect. Murder is always wrong. All that said, because a cold-blooded profiteering murderer was killed by another murder, himself deranged and fanatical, it is entirely unfair to label the pro-Life movement as hateful or to say that it incites violence. Those who hate life have already begun to use the murder of Dr. Tiller as an excuse to smear the pro-Life movement and to cow people from rallying to its cause, because they rightly understand that good-hearted, sound-minded people don't want to be associated with murderers. But murderers aren't pro-Life, and pro-Lifers aren't murderers. We must take this opportunity to state unequivocally that murder is always wrong, against not only the unborn, but also against their murderers. We must refuse to back down or to be cowed, but instead take the opportunity to be counted and to repeat firmly that no matter what, still


I am pro-Life.

2 comments:

Marisa said...

I actually find myself mourning the death of George Tiller. While, I am thankful that he will not be performing any more abortions and perhaps a few babies will be saved, there is a part of me that really hurts at the news of his death. He will not have a chance to change his ways and seek Our Lord's forgiveness and mercy. Of course, there is no way for me to know that he is going to hell, and I most definitely leave final judgment in God's all loving and merciful hands, but I suspect that his evil and unrepentant actions have permanently separated him from God and Heaven, and I find much sadness in the loss of even that one soul.

Unknown said...

You know, Marisa, there is a twinge of that in me, too. I cannot place it, and last night when I couldn't fall asleep because of my allergies, I didn't feel like including it. But it's true.

I am not worried for his soul. Nobody dies without having had all the grace useful toward there salvation. We can be confident then, that 5 more minutes or years would not have turned Dr. Tiller's heart - or God would have given him that extra time. We cannot cut short God's plan.

I think I am sad that somebody did such a thing, and has only made everything worse. Maybe there are post-abortive women who were edging toward repentance, but who are not set back; certainly others will be hardened in their pro-choice/abortion stance.

It's just ugly, and I suppose I am sad for that.